Committed to be of service to millions of Filipinos, nationwide
RMN has a long and storied history that dates back to 1948, back during that time when the Philippines was just starting to recover from the second world war. Friends Don Henry R. Canoy, Robin Cui, and Vicente Rivera have set up a 30-Watt radio transmitter that would later give birth to one of the biggest and most distinguished radio stations in the country.
Many interesting developments took place since 1948. We are proud of each and every milestone relevant in making RMN the station that it is now.
Don Henry R. Canoy, together with his friends Robin Cui and Vicente Rivera, first set up two home-built tube radio receivers in Cagayan de Oro. They later built a 30-Watt radio transmitter from surplus parts they bought from Manila.
Henry Canoy hit the airwaves as a pirate radio station.
Reuben R. Canoy, Henry’s brother, established a more powerful radio station and applied for a congressional franchise in Manila.
June 23 – Atty. Reuben R. Canoy was granted a permit to maintain and operate the radio broadcasting station.
August 28 – DXCC officially started broadcasting. Its radio signal reached Bukidnon that was 30 km away and the station ID greeted the listeners every hour. In Henry Canoy’s memoir, the call sign DXCC was chosen to mean Cagayan de Oro Community.
When Henry visited the United States, he discovered a radio station in Greeley, Colorado that inspired him to create a blueprint for DXCC. The program formats were then developed and strategically designed to entertain, inform and educate the public.
The developments led to DXCC’s success and in 1957, the station with a coconut tree for an antenna had given birth to four others – Manila, Iligan, Butuan, and Davao. The string of community stations was called Radio Mindanao Network (RMN).
Andres Soriano Sr. of San Miguel Corporation admired RMN’s broadcasting style so he established DZHP. DZHP’s “The Sound of the City” concept was strictly music and news. RMN later joined forces with The Philippine Herald and Inter-Island Broadcasting Corporation to form the first tri-media organization and this effort put RMN at the forefront of broadcast journalism and public service.
RMN made a “first” in Philippine radio history by pioneering the delivery of national newscasts via microwave. The Tri-Media News Central in Manila delivered fast, direct, and crystal clear network newscasts as events happened all over the country via stations DZHP in Manila, DZHB in Baguio, DYHP in Cebu, DXVM in Cagayan de Oro and DXDC in Davao.
RMN continued to expand through tie-ups with smaller networks all over the Philippines. RMN became Radio Mindanao Network, Inc. and Associates, and provided management, marketing, programming, and technical training.
To give more emphasis to the emerging FM station market, RMN divided its operations into two divisions, AM and FM. The FM stations catered to a younger pop music audience.
August 28 – TV-8, RMN’s first television station, went on air in Cagayan de Oro City. In December of that same year, RMN was granted a permit to operate a UHF television station in Metro Manila.
RMN was the first Philippine radio station to conquer the American airwaves through WRMN in New York.
RMN’s FM station DWKC 93.9 in Manila was the first commercial station in the country to broadcast with HD Radio technology. It broadcasts in three HD Radio digital audio channels along with its pre-existing analog signal.
Today, RMN is the largest radio network in the Philippines with nearly 60 AM and FM radio stations in the country. Radio Mindanao Network remains the legal name of the network, with the slogan “Radyo Mo Mindanao.” We are proud of what our station has become and we are committed to keeping our promise of continually educating and being of service to the Filipino people.